Monday, March 30, 2009

3-30-09 in class response

How does text messaging affect the way you think? How does it affect our communication? How is the writing that happens via texting or tweeting different from writing?

I would argue that texting does not really affect the way I think any more than the use of any other medium. Of course, I may use terms or phrases in my everyday speech that have proven themselves as useful re-occurring texting elements, but I also frequently find myself composing papers using vocabulary of a style consistent with my most recent reading material. Texting adds to our communication in new ways, but really, this remark can be made about virtually any means of communication. Writing that happens via texting, much like writing from twitter and some e-mails, tends to be of a less formal nature than other writing. In most cases, it is less refined and serves in a niche of instant communication under which the receiver is not intended to spend much time analyzing deeper meanings or justification.
Aside from being somewhat exempt from direct criticism or timely analysis, texting also provides a less confrontational means of communication.

Time up.

No comments:

Post a Comment