Friday, April 10, 2009

Response to Ryan

This is a response to Ryan, someone who commented on my flarf response.

Hey Ryan, this is Kevin. I actually just saw your comments today and felt I ought to respond to them (if I had seen them sooner I would have responded to them earlier, my apologies). Anyway, many of your remarks strike me as quite interesting and I'd like to respond to each. The phrases in quotes are Ryans, the passages following them are my response.

“You make a lot of assumptions, about poetry, about philosophy and certainly about Flarf here.”

This is very true, but what do we base our opinions and beliefs upon but assumptions? The interesting aspect here is to identify what assumptions you are making and how they differ from my own. I make assumptions largely about philosophy because it is my major and thus many of those classes tend to influence my line of thought on these matters.

When I speak of criticisms some have held of philosophy I am largely focusing on the logical positivists and my own personal experiences. As a little background, the logical positivists used linguistic analysis to “conjure away” philosophical questions by attempting to show that they were not, in actuality, questions at all. They largely focused on trying to prove that all philosophical problems were “cognitively meaningless” but held that such matters could contain “emotive meaning.” In using these terms, I am building from this type of foundation.

On a further note, I find it striking that you identify flarf as separate from poetry. Was this intentional? I’ve been under the impression that people consider flarf as a form of poetry… Either way, I would be interested in your opinion here.

“The above poem [in your post] isn't flarf: it's more like a copy of what Flarf seems like to someone who doesn't get it.”

Flarf, I will readily admit, is out of my element but it is interesting that you claim my “poem” isn’t flarf. Please, enlighten me if you will, as to how I ought to discern what is flarf and what is? By what criterion can you call something “not flarf?“ Also, I will fully agree that I do not get flarf. Feel free to explain to your heart’s content and I will do my best to understand.

“I should also add that you don't like what you don't like, and no one can argue with that.”

I would like to start by saying that I am not simply saying “I don’t like flarf” nor do I see it as a valid argument. My problem is that I can’t see why anyone at all would like flarf. Perhaps for some sort of humor which I fail to see but beyond that.. I have yet to discover an answer.

“So a good point to start off a critique of Flarf might be to ask just what it is that you don't like about Flarf and go from there.”

I find it difficult to critique Flarf based upon what exactly I don’t like about it largely because I can’t pinpoint anything of significance which I do like about it. I simply fail to understand any reason for flarf’s existence. It serves no purpose and I would still hold that in most instances, communicates literally nothing or communicates nothing which could not be better communicated through some other medium.

“But, your characterization of Flarf as plagiarism is a mischaracterization. Considering that poetry has often appropriated, and that some would contest that found poetry leans more toward plagiarism than Flarf, it seems weird to accuse Flarf of plagiarism”

My understanding of flarf, although heavily limited, comes directly from here and what has been covered in my class thus far. Here are some of the working definitions as explained in the link:

Flarf: A quality of intentional or unintentional "flarfiness." A kind of corrosive, cute, or cloying, awfulness. Wrong. Un-P.C. Out of control. "Not okay."

Flarf (2): The work of a community of poets dedicated to exploration of "flarfiness." Heavy usage of Google search results in the creation of poems, plays, etc., though not exclusively Google-based. Community in the sense that one example leads to another's reply-is, in some part, contingent upon community interaction of this sort. Poems created, revised, changed by others, incorporated, plagiarized, etc., in semi-public.

Flarf (3) (verb): To bring out the inherent awfulness, etc., of some pre-existing text.

Flarfy: To be wrong, awkward, stumbling, semi-coherent, fucked-up, un-P.C. To take unexpected turns; to be jarring. Doing what one is "not supposed to do."

Note how flarf is described as plagiarized and inherently awful in the definition. This is where I get my characterization of flarf and until you offer me a new definition, I will continue to hold that flarf largely involves plagiarism. As you seem to encourage flarf, I sincerely hope you can offer me a new definition from which I can find insight to your perspective.

“For more on what is NOT plagiarism, see here.”

I have checked this link out and I really don’t see how it defends flarf or other general “forms” as not plagiarism. An interesting link all the same.

“You further say this:

Before anyone argues that this “lack of style” ought to be considered a style all its own I’d like to state that such an argument cannot be construed as viable in any sense.

To which I ask, why? Why can't misspellings and mistakes of various kinds be considered style? Let's argue it. Not before, but now. Why can't these be style? Who's to say that they can't?”

It is not the random misspellings or mistakes which deprive flarf from achieving any kind of style. What I state is that “Misspellings, plagiarism, and shapelessness [held together] do not describe a style or form which ought to be considered in thought or pursued in practice. This is an important distinction but feel free to try and convince me that flarf, in essence, could be worth anyone’s time.

“Another assumption: poetry communicates ‘meaning.’"

Yes, I would argue that poetry must communicate meaning of some sort.

“Another: poetry communicates a linearly grasped idea (plot--> progression-->terminus)= pat idea/statement of ‘meaning’ to reader? Are poems supposed to ‘mean’ things? Is your ‘meaning’ my ‘meaning‘?

I do not assume, however, that all poetry must “communicate a linearly grasped idea.” Poems don’t even necessarily have to “mean things” in and of themselves but they ought to communicate something. My ‘meaning’ of a given poem may be different from yours but there remains some meaning involved with both of us. In actuality, some of the best poetry inspires contrary meanings in multiple individuals.

“Another: Flarf communicates nothing. (Have you ever read "Chicks Dig War" by Drew Gardner?)

Please read “Chicks Dig War” and then come back to your blog and tell me that Flarf communicates nothing, nothing about war, nothing about chicks digging it, nothing about GWAR.”

I hadn’t read this before but I have now. Here is a link in case anyone else would like to read it. If you would prefer, it can also be found with ease on you tube. I’m not entirely sure about “Chicks Dig War” just yet but I will give it another read at a later date since you find it so highly recommendable. Until I’ve had a bit more time to think on it, I won’t say any more here.

18 comments:

  1. Frustratingly, I had a lovely response all typed out and hit a button on my mouse that made it all go away, so I will attempt to re-write it.

    First of all: Congratulations to Ryan, you have piqued Kevin's interest and may prove a worthy adversary for him on this topic. I generally choose to steer clear of intellectual arguments with philosopic individuals. As Kevin's girlfriend I would say that we are a fairly good illustration of opposites attracting. I can easilly find enjoyment in something shiny or brightly colored, whereas Kevin needs mental stimulation and a good exercise of his grey matter seems to be in order :)

    Anyways, I'd like to add this to ya'lls discussion. I am a beginning English major, and am just beginning to really get into my serious English classes. At a recitation last week about pushing the poetic language, a professor brought up an argument by Elizabeth Sewell that poetry exists on a spectrum of chaos, at one end exists logical and ordered, at the other, disordered and frenzied. As the language of poetry approaches either end of the spectrum the poetry supposedly becomes more "genius" or "well-written" as it leaves the center where the word order is fairly predictable.
    Using this as a guideline, I would make the claim that Flarf poetry is an attempt to leave the predictible and go so far into chaos that it fails. Its supposed meaning is lost because its words aren't saying what they mean, assuming they were intended to mean anything, which I haven't decisively concluded yet.
    With Flarf poetry I am reminded of art's extremes, the folks that claim the blood of a sheep splashed on a canvas is an outcry at society's desire to mold and shape who we are, or the musicians that claim playing a piano's strings with a cucumber is no different than the composers who pushed forward into different ages.

    I have seen some flarf that I liked, but I feel that some of what was shown in Kevin's class was specifically to make a point that it is taking vulgarities and grammatical errors and attempting to turn them into art. Many of these examples failed because in my opinion, they tried to hard to stand out.

    What is wrong with just saying what you really mean?

    -Missy
    (oh, in case anyone wanted to see sewell's comments http://classweb.gmu.edu/rnanian/Recitation9A.html )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Literature and Philosophy grad here...

    Flarf is just an attempt at irony by hipsters who discovered the internet. Though I have read a few pieces here and there that were somewhat witty and made me laugh, overall, to call it a style or school of poetry- come on now. in the bloated market place of poetry flarf is just one more boring voice trying to scream how its the worthy grail to spend time on because it is aware that its really a waste of time. isnt hipster irony grand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Igattini,

    Shame shame. Being a grad student, you should be a bit more rigorous than to only "read a few pieces here and there" before opining so forcefully. Anyone with more than a passing knowledge of flarf knows that, 1) hipsters aren't behind this movement, 2) flarf is indeed a school and style of poetry, as it has both followers/practitioners and the momentum (thanks to folks like yourself) to create a reaction AND the definitive signatures that do make it flarf (google sculpting and/or un-PC/reappropriation of multi-vocal registers, and not least, 3) no one is saying "it's the holy grail," though a flarf/grail poem might be called for now that you mention it.

    But do, should you have time, define "hipster irony" for me, and please tell us, too, how this irony differentiates itself from, say, the irony of Mark Twain or Voltaire (or Monty Python, for that matter).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Kevin,

    I'll be responding point by point to your concerns above on my blog. I hope to "win you over," since I think flarf is one of the many facets of contemporary poetry that make it exciting and worthwhile.

    -Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. I couldn't wait. I've posted a "fullish" response at my blog. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan- In cases like this you could link to the post you made at the end of your comments. I realize Kevin linked to you at the top of this post, but it would be a bit easier to follow. Doing so will also help raise your page rank (supposedly) which will generate more page views.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ryan,

    try reading whole sentences before shooting off...
    "...a few pieces here and there that were witty..." was the sentence. you hurt your credibility far more often than you realize.

    hipster irony differs significantly from the writers you mentioned in that its of low, slapstick quality.

    hipsters love flarf. i find it annoying whenever im out and about in the art/poetry scene or at a party and some group of them starts going on and on about it in the most pseudo-intellectual way, holding it up to be the holy grail when its obviously just another hip fashion. flarf is not a school or movement for very obvious reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Melissa above, I too had a response typed and ready to go. And then my less-than-perfect New York City-supplied bullshit Internet disconnected and I was unable to save my comments.

    @igattini

    Anyway, I’m responding to the ‘charges’ made above, that I’ve somehow “ruined my credibility more than I” could ever dream (italics and addition are mine) in an imaginary world of people who hate poetry movements because of who else happens to like them. Why would you do this? Why would you ever hate an entire school or movement (you really should list your reasons for discounting Flarf as a school or movement, unless of course you don’t care about YOUR credibility, and would prefer to make claims that you can’t support with anything resembling evidence, and would rather prefer to engage in this “Because I said so” drivel ad nauseum) because of a few others who happen to like it?

    So tell me, why is Flarf not a “movement”? Why is Flarf not a “school”? I really would be interesting in hearing your reasons, since I’m not opposed to hearing something I might not like. I swear.

    Furthermore, because upon merging with "slapstick" irony is no longer irony -- it's slapstick, duh -- I would also like to see an “iron-o-meter” whereby we measure the “lowness” of Monty Python, Voltaire, or Mark Twain compared with Flarf’s irony. Can that be done?

    ps. Please, please read my response before replying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. pps. To wit: "Though I have read a few pieces here and there that were somewhat witty and made me laugh, overall, to call it a style or school of poetry- come on now."

    How can you claim that your opinion is an "overall" impression if you've only read a few pieces here and there?

    To quote Melissa: why can't we just say what we mean?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ryan,

    lets be quick:

    ive read a few witty pieces of all the pieces ive read

    check out methods of irony for differing types

    youre the one having a public debate and have credibility to uphold, which even in your every-day sort of remarks, you make yourself look like a thick ass. so keep in mind, i am under no obligation to provide you anything.

    flarf is not a movement for very very obvious reasons. think about it. brainstorm a few ideas and post them here, ill let you know if youre spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Igattini,

    Name them. Tell us why. If these are such obvious reasons -- as per your statement that they are "very very very very very obvious" (again, my emphasis on the insipid repetition), then it's you who should name them. A discussion about anything ends when you don't support your claims. So..go ahead...support them.

    @Melissa,

    Sorry to not have included the link to my response. It's here:
    http://charitablegiving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. ps. What in God's name is a "thick ass"?

    Are you saying I'm fat?

    ReplyDelete
  14. ryan,

    are you serious? i refuse to believe someone of your background is really as vapid as youre pretending to be

    ReplyDelete
  15. Name them (your reasons) or let's stop having this conversation. I can't believe that you would make claims about anything without backing it up. Your opinion? Sure, but it's worth nothing without support. Show me support, and we've got something to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  16. For the record, here's how a famous "poetry" school was defined:

    "The New York School (synonymous with abstract expressionist painting) was an informal group of American poets, painters, dancers, and musicians active in the 1950s, 1960s in New York City. The poets, painters, composers, dancers, and musicians often drew inspiration from Surrealism and the contemporary avant-garde art movements, in particular action painting, abstract expressionism, Jazz, improvisational theater, experimental music, and the interaction of friends in the New York City art world's vanguard circle."
    [Source: Wikipedia]


    Sounds like Flarf represents the work of a "school" to me...

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh, an encyclopedia reference, touche mr philosophy, touche.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Give it a rest. Regardless of how valid you consider an encyclopedia to be, you have less than that to support your views, and so now you're sad and pissy about it.

    And with nary a response in sight, still I ask: what a "thick ass" might be, since this insult has yet to make it into the English Lexicon. Is this a secret TOEFL insult I've yet to learn?

    So I leave you with yet another challenge that I assume won't be answered: defend your idea that "flarf is not a movement for very very obvious reasons."

    Name them.

    ReplyDelete